Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Something I Did Not Know about William Booth (and a teenytiny rant)

I knew that William Booth was the inspired thinker behind the Salvation Army. I have read a short biography on his life, dealing with his measures of mercy toward the poor, especially women and children. What an impressive spiritual resume he has (and his wife, Catherine, too! She was no slacker).

But, until today, I did not know he had played an pivotal role in improving the safety of the match making industry, which was mostly made up of children (especially girls) as workers.

Here is a brief article about this Godly, forward-thinking man and his equally convicted wife, who changed the world for the better.

Here is a quote of his that I love, love, love:
While women weep, as they do now, I’ll fight;
While little children go hungry, I’ll fight;
While men go to prison, in and out, in and out, I’ll fight;
While there is a drunkard left,
While there is a poor lost girl on the streets,
Where there remains one dark soul without the light of God – I’ll fight!
I’ll fight to the very end!

What's that? I'm sorry.

Oh, oh, oh. *Why* was I following this rabbit trail to begin with?
Because one of the medications I (have) take(n) causes my bones to weaken. And it has been implicated in some cases of a long-ago disorder of the jaw, called "phossy jaw". Which is the condition William Booth helped to eradicate with his safe, clean, compassionate match making factories.

Love me some medical, historical, God-related tidbits.

PS If you want to hear an awesome song about William Booth's life, please listen here. This song by Geoff Moore has inspired lyrics worth your time. IMHO, of course.

PPS As holiday season approaches, please remember to support the Salvation Army and their red kettles. And in the interest of full disclosure, we not only have volunteered at the Salvation Army (at holidays), but having my little children put money into the kettle is one of my most treasured memories--it was one of their first opportunities to be blessed by giving to others.

So, each and every year, from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day, I boycott all stores (including and especially the almighty T@rget) who refuse to allow the Salvation Army kettles/bell ringers to be present at the front of their store(s).

And I tell the store managers (in person) and email the head honchos about my reasoning. Does it help change their policies? Not so far. But, I cannot support (with my dollars) an organization who prefers "political correctness" over charity.

No comments: