Tuesday, August 31, 2010

#243/365 Full Circle

One of the towns whose children I serve live in this small hamlet. The name of the town is pronounced "KWAS-keh-ton" (emphasis on the first syllable); not "Kwas-KWEE-ton". Obviously, an Indian name. That is obvious, right, from the sign and all?

This is Quasqueton's former school. At one time, I am sure it was a K-12 building, then an elementary and now, it is closed. It has been turned into housing (apartments), I believe.

Funny thing is, back before college graduation (circa 1984?), I worked in this school. As a student SLP, I was asked to help cover a vacancy here. I went out 2 or 3 days per week, to serve the school children who had speech needs.

See the three windows over the doorway arch? That was a large coat room. It was where my 'office' was. Where I saw children and completed paperwork.

For free (no pay).

Fifty mile + commute. (for free)

In the freezing cold (no heat).

I know that likely sounds like some old timer story (and it is), but it is quite true.

How stoopid was I? I believed them when they told me it was an 'honor' to be chosen to do this. HAHA

1 comment:

Dolores said...

Oh my ....you were too good to be true for the school.... You're amazing!