Sunday, July 18, 2010

#201/365 Light Reading? Not Really


Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Iowa has (had?) the distinction of being the "Meth capital of the USA".

And the center of "Methland"? A short 10 miles from where I work. I work with children and familes who are been directly and indirectly affected by meth every. single. day.

It is ugly and heartbreaking and scary to see how powerful this drug is. And how easily it can be manufactured with common items, easily found in an agricultural state.

My awesome brother sent me a copy of this book, after telling me how good it was (Thanks, Bro!). He seemed genuinely surprised/concerned that I work in homes where meth is likely used, if not made.

I will admit, it is sad and distasteful and worrisome. But what can you do? Refuse to see a child who is delayed? Not an ethical option. Require them to bring the child to a site for therapy? They won't bring the child. No-one wins in this awful game. No-one.

I look forward to reading the book. I have only read through the prologue so far. It's very odd to read about things and places I know pretty well, as seen through an outsider's eyes.

I'll try to remember to let you know what I think when I am finished.

And pray for our vanishing, wholesome, Mayberry state.

1 comment:

Dolores said...

Drugs....... so terrible! I'm sure you're a ray of sunshine to the children you work with.......
God bless you and the children