Thursday, June 17, 2010

#169/365 Priorities

See this stack of paper? That is not all the paperwork I completed last year. Ohhhh no. The stack of papers I completed last school year would be faaaar bigger than this.

No, friends. This is the stack of paper I have been given in (less than) one calendar year by Men in Suits, instructing me about how to *do* my paperwork. Isn't that ... (s0 many words to choose from, which will be the most PC?) ::ahem:: so not right?

So much of the paperwork I am required to do seems to require hitting a nebulous, ever-moving target. It is easily the part I most despise about my job. I just wish someone could tell me definitively and permanently HOW to do a good job on paperwork, so I could learn to do it so well, I could do it in my sleep. As it is, I have been doing this for 14 years and I say, almost every day, "I don't know how to do my job".

Do I know how to identify children who need my services? Yes. Treat those children? Yes. Help their parents feel comfortable and confident in their job? Yes. Help teachers know that they KNOW how to successfully teach these kids? Yes. Help administrators to feel like things are under control and even thriving in their buildings? Yes.

But the papers? Nope. They are mystifying.

And that just feels like a big ole 'Fail'.

2 comments:

eureka1951 said...

HEY!!!!! Do NOT focus on one thing you despise about your job. Think on what is IMPORTANT!!! Those moments when you know you have made a difference in a child's life!!

I am so thankful for loving, devoted people like you!!!

God bless you today!

Anonymous said...

You need a shredder. It does wonders for the psyche. A true mood lifter. :)
K-