Tuesday, January 26, 2010

#26/365 Let there be Light!

I bought this bulb last Christmas (read: one year ago this past Christmas) and put it in the lamp next to my big ole chair. It just burned out this AM. Since the lamp is rarely, if ever, turned off, I am certainly pleased with how long the bulb lasted.

So, did it work? Did it elevate my mood? Was I somehow protected against the effects of Seasonal Affective Disorder? ::coughcough:: Have you READ my winter-weather-related posts? Whaddayou think? hahahaha

This is what my new "paperwork" looks like. Almost every thing we do in IEP land is now on the world wide web. So, we wade through screen, after endless screen, of virtual paper, completing forms, filling in blanks.

Before you can complete the virtual packet of information (which is as long as the one you plod through at a mortgage signing--ugh), all the lights must be green. Green as in "go", I guess. If you get a yellow light, there are errors on the page. A red light means that no information has been entered onto the page.

I am about as invested in this paperwork process, as I was the last one (pre-www). I do papers because I have to. They are required by law. I understand *why* they are required by law. I really do. And I honor that.

And as a parent I understand that your child's life is, in some ways, represented by these papers. I mean, I still have report cards galore, parent/teacher conference summaries, etc. from all the years my children were in school. So, the papers are a necessary part of the job I do, but it is fo' sho my least favorite part of the job. And they take HOURS. Literally.

So, this afternoon from 1:30 to 4:30 (give or take 30 minutes or so for emails, calls, etc.) I worked on one child's packet. I wouldn't let myself leave for a restroom break until pages A-G were green (sick, huh?) and then, I wouldn't let myself leave until the rest were (30 minutes after my usual quittn' time). Then, I seriously did a happy dance and squealed like a girl (well, I *am* a girl, after all) when ALL THE LIGHTS TURNED GREEN!!!

It is hard to see in the photo (note to self and others---I really don't care for the quality of my camera's photos, but I am too chicken to upgrade, since I fear I wouldn't be able to figure out the intricacies of the new, cool cameras), but see there, just above the cars? It's a cool sundog!! I love those things, especially because it means.....the SUN WAS OUT TODAY!!! :D

2 comments:

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I sooooooooooo love green lights. I'm not as committed as you to forgo the potty in lieu of the green light, but I too do the happy dance when the lights go green. And yes, they take forever. seriously, where is the "paperwork reduction" ??????? huh????
-kris