Monday, June 15, 2009

Summer Reading

Ahhhh...summer. A time when I have more time to read and to enjoy reading. What's on my bookshelf? Glad you asked...

I rarely purchase books anymore. I am lazy and flabby and cheap. I find them at garage sales, Goodwill, trade with friends, go to the library or re-read favorites ("Hinds Feet on High Places" by Hannah Hurnard is perennially in use).


But in a recent weak moment, I purchased "My Sister's Keeper". I thought the movie trailer looked interesting and I really like little Abigail Breslin (ever since "Signs"). Another 'rule' of mine, is that the book is always better than the movie, so I always read the book before seeing the movie.

So far, so good. It took me a few chapters to realize that the author is constantly changing the narrator of the chapter, but once I caught her drift, I am finding the story interesting. I will keep reading....

Next, is a book, I received as a birthday gift from a dear friend, Addy. She and I have wonderful, deep discussions and lively debates about life, faith, women, parenting, marriage, friendship, relationships, etc. I honestly think there is *nothing* that we could not, have not discussed. Yes, dear reader, let your mind go with it. haha

Anyway, at one recent visit, we were discussing the subject of spending eternity with Jesus and what that might look like. I was feeling like I just couldn't grasp it anymore; I used to think I knew what heaven would be like and I couldn't wait to get there. But that was then. Now, it's sort of fuzzy for me.

And just as the Body of Christ is supposed to operate, iron began to sharpen iron and Addy began to remind me of scriptures about Heaven and even telling me things I hadn't known. I was still feeling alternatively fuzzy and ho-hum about it all, until she began to tell me of this book called (oddly enough), "Heaven", by Randy Alcorn.

The book sounded great and it was even something I hadn't already read! Hmmmm...I pondered a few thoughts throughout the week and as we gathered again today, she presented me with the book, "Heaven"!! Awww....thanks, Addy. I am excited to start reading and learning about eternity. And for our next discussion.

What's on *your* summer reading list??

No comments: