Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sometimes, ignorance really *is* bliss

(excerpt from this blog site)

Outrage is erupting over the inauguration benediction by Rev. Joseph Lowery, an 87-year-old civil rights pioneer, for asking God to help mankind work for a day when "white would embrace what is right."

Lowery, known for co-founding the Southern Christian Leadership Conference with Martin Luther King Jr., asked God to encourage America to make "choices on the side of love, not hate, on the side of inclusion not exclusion, tolerance not intolerance" after President Barack Obama took the presidential oath.

Then he ended his prayer with, "Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around – when yellow will be mellow – when the red man can get ahead, man – and when white will embrace what is right."

Obama reacted to the benediction with a smile.

The crowd cheered and boomed with a loud "Amen."

***************************************************************************************

Are you kidding me?

This would be soooo hilarious to me, conjuring up remembrances of that juvenile playground taunt, "nana nana boo-boo, you got what you voted for") except ::ahem::, yooohooo!!! and Wake Up People!!...we are talking about the spiritual blessing prayed over the highest office and the highest elected official of the COUNTRY THAT I LOVE!!!!

Yeah. I purposefully skipped out on today's pomp and pageantry. I knew I would be unable to be happy, hopeful or hyped.

So, I went shopping over my lunch hour and thought I would catch up with the day's events through my chosen (vs. forced) medium at the end of the day.

Ahhh....bliss.

Until I read the above and well, I was happier before.

Lord Jesus, rescue our nation. We are desperate and wicked. We are silly and blind.

**of course, you know that the title of this post is tongue-in-cheek, right? In this new era, ignorance is dangerous.

1 comment:

Mom To Six said...

Oh Terryn, I tried so hard to stay away but just couldn't do it. Seeing the eloquent speaker and hearing the rhetoric made my stomach churn. In two days we will be once again observing the anniversary of Roe vs. Wade and I have to say that I'm so glad that God remains on the throne, because it's only my hope and belief in Him that is getting me through this.

Tonight I'm so sad for the country our children will be raising their children in.

Hugs,

Ohilda