Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Vision

I didn't grow up a Christian. Therefore, I don't know any hymns (or didn't, I should say). Even after I became a Christian, I joined a non-denominational, hip and cool contemporary church that didn't really play hymns, cuz I guess them hymns just isn't cool.

But, once I heard my first few and learned about their origins, look out!! I was HOOKED! Powerful lyrics. Biblical truths. Longevity amongst our culture of miscrowave meals in a minute.

I know that some people do not like hymns, mostly people who grew up with them and associate them with...I don't know, I guess---childhood forced church? their parents' preferences? Hard to relate to language? Whatever it is, it's not me, man. Nope, nope, nope. I love 'em.

My current crushin' hymn? Be Thou My Vision. What a hymn! The version I am playing over and over during my cruises around rural Iowa (is that redundant? yeah, it is), is by Selah.

My commute round trip is one hour. The amount of driving I may do in addition to that may be another hour. That's 2 hours of Be Thou My Vision, people. Hit replay and there you have it.
A balm to my heart. A salve to my spirit.

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Just what I need.

Vision.

For my future. For my purpose. For what's next. For my life.

The prayer of my heart.

Be Thou My Vision.

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

1 comment:

Eileen said...

My 12 year-old sang the hymn "Abide with Me" at church on Sunday. You could hear a pin drop. I've never heard her sound better. I love that hymn....and that girl!

You should hear Haley Westenra (I think I spelled that right) sing "Abide with Me". Check it out on You Tube. Amazing.