Tuesday, December 23, 2008

And then there's *this*

Remember, "Band-Aid" and their Christmas song, "Do They Know It's Christmas?" I had forgotten about Band Aid, until I heard their song on the radio yesterday. Before I begin this post, let me say that I am thankful that a group of musicians banded together to raise money to help with the famine/suffering in Africa. Great idea.

But, I strongly dislike this song. Loathe entirely, as the Grinch would say.

It's the lyrics. Perhaps, I'm missing it. Do the starving children in Africa/India/Afghanistan/Iran/pick a country?? really care if it's Christmas, or where it's snowing? Highly doubtful.

But the most morally offensive line (to me) comes from Bono (although, I do not know that he wrote the lyrics):

"Well tonight, thank God it's them, instead of you!"

Are you kidding me? I could never say that to God in a prayer. Thank Him for my abundant blessings? Absolutely. Thank Him that I live here in this land of plenty? Daily.

Tell God I am glad it's someone else, instead of me? yuck. yuck. yuck. Never. More like ask, plead, intercede that no-one suffer in such a manner? You better believe it. "Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on Earth, as it is in Heaven" is more like it.

I honestly cannot believe such a sentiment made the cut. Does no-one edit the work of a pop star? Wait. Never mind. I think I may already know the answer to that one.

I recall that line startled me when I heard it back in the 80's (is that right?), when I was not even yet of the Christian persuasion. It is now enough to make me lose my cool, when the radio stations play the song. Why do they still play it?

Perhaps Bono is being sarcastic? Perhaps he is making some political comment for shock value? (shrugs)

Is Bono embarrassed that he sang that back in the wack-job 80's? Has he ever commented on this? He is known for his humanitarian work, so this lyric just doesn't line up. **I will do some checking...see below.

If a person's gonna just scream at the sky anyway, angrily shaking their fist at God, which is something I do not think God finds offensive in this context, as I believe His heart breaks with the suffering of His children; perhaps, we all need to be more outraged!!, compelled to action to help alleviate the suffering of the global population, therefore, a sentiment more along the lines of, oh say...

"Tonight, let's pray that

the wrong will fail,

the right prevail,

with peace on earth,

good will to men."

I'm just saying.

(man, what a great carol!).

______________________________________________________

from Wikipedia:

****Bono, Paul McCartney and George Michael were the only artists from the original Band Aid who had been asked back to lend their voices to Band Aid 20. There was a reported dispute over the line 'Tonight thank God it's them, instead of you', which Bono sang on the original version. Justin Hawkins, of The Darkness, laid down a version of the line, but Bono insisted on re-recording his version, which was eventually used on the record.**** So, there ya have it. I so do not get it.

No comments: