Saturday, November 29, 2008

Mud Pies in a Slum

From "The Weight of Glory"--1949

  • Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased. ~~~ C.S. Lewis
My Advent Season prayer...

Lord Jesus, I pray that You would pull me out of the slum, where I persist in making mud pies. Pull me out kicking and screaming, if You must.

Please cause me to want to take a holiday at the sea, even if I have no idea what that means.

I do not wish to be easily pleased by mudpies and slums (or chocolate, TV, blogging, sleeping in, clothes, stuff, etc.).


I humble myself to Your will, recognizing I have no more idea of what will satisfy me, than a toddler.


I am grateful for Your love and leadership and pray You would assist me in granting You lordship, in all things.

In Jesus name, I ask. Amen.

1 comment:

Val said...

Lovely prayer to welcome the advent season.

Advent Season?? Already?? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! (runs screaming, then stops short, remembering the prayer.) :o)