Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Hey, Andrea. Help me follow your logic.

Husband called me today (laughingly) to tell me how 'uneducated', 'blue collar' and 'working class' I am to be impressed with Sara Palin. Huh?

Here's the transcript of the quote from NBC's Andrea Mitchell:

Brokaw: ...There are other Republicans who are saying, listen we'll be able to pull those Hillary Clinton voters who are not happy the way Obama treated her across the line. What are the chances of that Andrea?

Mitchel: Well, they think now that they have a story. They have a story of a working mom, she is a colorful character, an Annie Oakley... you know, Annie get your gun. They love her story, but when she tried to talk about Hillary Clinton in Pennsylvania, in western Pennsylvania, yesterday at a rally with conservative Republican voters, Hillary Clinton was booed. So, she can use the Hillary Clinton and Geraldine Ferraro analogy if she wants to in interviews, she cannot use that at Republican rallies.

She is not appealing to the same women who were really voting or supporting Hillary Clinton on ideological issues but they think that they can peel off some of these working class women, not college educated, who, the blue collar women who were voting for Hillary Clinton and may be more conservative on social causes.

Two thoughts; one short and concise and one long and a bit passionate.

First, for the record, I don't like how Hillary was treated by her own party. In my opinion, she may have been more electable than Obama, but since the Democrats went with Obama for the Presidential nomination, why the heck didn't Obama choose Hillary for his running mate? I am puzzled by this.

Secondly, I like Sara Palin because she is *not* a Washington politician (whoo-hoo!), she is willing to take on unpopular battles, even within her own party (admirable); she has a large family (like me), supports the troops and their mission (me, too), is pro-life (like me), NRA supporting (ditto) and has been a popular governor for her state.

She balances work and family everyday (as I have), has made choices to pursue her dreams and convictions (like me). Her family is imperfect (like ours)--teen pregnancy (yup), has a special needs child (a soft spot of mine for 23 years of my profession as a speech/language pathologist, which I have to have a Master's degree in order to practice). She married her high school sweetheart (awwww) and managed to *stay* married to him. She is Christian (raising my hand again).

So, how exactly does my support of Sara Palin make me a former Hillary supportin', uneducated, blue collar voter?

I am, once again, puzzled.

2 comments:

Mia's Mommy said...

Haven't we had the discussion about the media??? ha! ;-)

Val said...

Well, see, the problem is you're just not educated ENOUGH. Yeah, you've been to college, but ignorance is to the bone. ;o) You just don't think the right way.

And thank you for the award...you're very, very sweet!