Friday, July 11, 2008

Margins

(insert self-conscious laugh/sigh here)

I've recently finished the book "The Shack".

I've not even known where to begin to write out my thoughts about it. I think I will simply use the notes I have made in the margins of the book, coupled with the book's quote that inspired it.


Be prepared. My notes are simple.

The book quotes are profound.

But, first a confession.


I had never heard of the book until I read of it on Erinlo's blog. I sort of 'know' Erin through cyberspace. I respect (and share) Erin's Christian faith-based world view, so I was a bit intrigued.

After that, I began to see other references to the book, so I logged the thought in the back of my head that I would read the book at some point, just to see what all the hype was about. A real trailblazer I am!


As I began to read, I posted my preliminary
thoughts here.

(insert second self-conscious laugh/sigh here) Ahhhh....It's a good thing God is "awfully fond of" me.

page 94, second paragraph


"Well, there are many reasons for that and some of them go very deep. Let me say for now that we knew that once the Creation was broken, true fathering would much more lacking than mothering. Don't misunderstand me, both are needed---but an emphasis on fathering is necessary because of the enormity of its absence."

My note in the margin related to that paragraph is...."Wow".


Now, who is "immature"?

So, without too many more words, I will just say that I've still not visited the website devoted to "The Shack", but, after reading the book, I can see why there is one.

I can also say that this book has challenged my view of God (in a positive way). And that I was surprised by that (ahhh...pride is so attractive, eh?)
Additionally, I will say that this work is *not* Scripture; it is a book. I have several "Shack" paragraphs that I must study out alongside Scripture, to "test" them, as we are advised by Scripture to do, but hey, I'm studying the Bible again and that is a good thing.

So, my advice? Shack up on the beach, in the car (as a passenger), with a loved one, at the pool, etc. with a copy of "The Shack". And don't feel you have to visit that website.


Just come on back here and we'll have a little book club discussion of our own. Just us girlfriends.

(little country girl from this cute site)

No comments: