Friday, May 16, 2008

Tom Petty as Worship Leader?

He sure could be, if he wanted to.

I was driving quite a bit today and listening to his "Best of..." sort of CD.

This song is just another example of how your world view can really affect how you hear and process a song.

What do you think? A great spiritual warfare song, huh?


Well I won't back down
No I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down

No I'll stand my ground, won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin me down
gonna stand my ground
... and I won't back down

Chorus:
(I won't back down...)
Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
(and I won't back down...)
hey I will stand my ground
and I won't back down

Well I know what's right, I got just one life
in a world that keeps on pushin me around
but I'll stand my ground
...and I won't back down

(I won't back down...)
Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
(and I won't back down...)
hey I will stand my ground
(I won't back down)
and I won't back down...

(I won't back down...)
Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
(I won't back down)
hey I won't back down
(and I won't back down)
hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
(and I won't back down)
hey I will stand my ground
(and I won't back down)
and I won't back down
(I won't back down)
No I won't back down...


I wonder if Tom would be flattered or offended?

1 comment:

Caity said...

I dont know, it'd be hard for me to believe that he would be offended, at the end of his concerts and in the cd inserts he tells everyone God Bless. But some of his other songs arnt Christian music in obvious ways.
But I am a Christian, and I love Tom Petty, so I think it'd be pretty awesome if he did produce some more like that song.