Thursday, May 8, 2008

Relative

Y'all know we have an enemy to our souls, right? That there's a battle going on unseen, around us? I believe this is truth.

One thing that God does for me (it feels personal) that helps me in the fight, is give me a moment to remember. It happens when He is instructing me in some truth; usually one that I seem to be missing.

When God determines the time to be "right", He will open my eyes and/or my mind and/or my heart in one big "gotcha" moment. Kinda like a holy "Boo!".

The reason I feel like this is a gift (and not a problem) is because these moments then really stand out to me and that's good for a couple of reasons.

The first one, is that then I know I did not do this thing on my own; I know that it was divinely ordained. If I could have enlightened myself, I would have. But I didn't, so I couldn't, so it was Him. Follow?

The second is that then I *know* the moment definitely occurred. No doubt about it. I remember where I was, what I was thinking, etc. Later, when doubt creeps in (sounds sort of like, "You didn't really confess that; accept that; do that; mean that", etc.), I can point to the very real memory of the moment that truth was revealed.

Instead of wondering and trying to talk my self into something, instead of feeling wishy-washy and nebulous about my facts, I can point to the time and place that my eyes were opened. Hard to shake the confidence of a first-hand experience or an actual eyewitness.

That's what happened to me yesterday. And it feels good to feel solid ground under my feet again. A turning point. A line in the sand.

And when the enemy comes (and I know he will), I will point to the latest moment of truth as proof that my God is a Very Big, Very Good God.

(p.s. the dude in the statue is William Barrett Travis of the Alamo fame; line in the sand and all that.... according to my cousin, we are related to him---cool, huh?)

No comments: