Friday, May 23, 2008

The Big Preface...

Just so you know, I use this very handy site to look up Bible verses. It has many translations available, including foreign translations. All at your fingertips or a click of the mouse. Amazing!

Deuteronomy 8:6 (New King James Version)

6 “Therefore you shall keep the commandments of the LORD your God, to walk in His ways and to fear Him.

Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

So, dear reader, after pondering this verse, I now must admit to God and everyone, that I was warned. I was instructed. I was advised and guided.

And I messed up. I sinned. Period. The end.


I am a great example of a person who saw what she wanted to see (the promise of blessing), while glossing over the mandate (keeping the commandments of God).

As I have stated previously, my greatest sin is not what you may think.

Although I have committed some sins that are considered "biggies" (yuck; but it's true, so why pretend otherwise?), the sin that ultimately tripped me up and ensnared me, was a pretty one (outwardly).

My sin was loving. Yep. Loving.

Huh?, you may think. How could loving be a problem, a sin? Well, I'll tell you.

Although accepted and lauded by society as a great and noble thing, God will not have it. Placing *anything* before Him will cause you trouble and heartache.

"You shall have no other gods before Me."

Even your children, your husband, your marriage, your family.

Growing up in my weird and dysfunctional family of origin, placed within me a deep, deep, *deep* desire to have a great family someday.

It's really all I have ever wanted--to create the family I wished I had had. To make the memories I wish I had. To be the mom I wish I had (even now--sigh).


So, I know that God understands *why* I did what I did (and I am coming to understand it, too), but the why doesn't really matter. I violated the First of the Ten Commandments and God ain't having it. Ever.

So, my choices (even though not really, consciously made) were an offense to God. To place my husband, children and family as a top priority was wrong in His sight.


No-one , no-thing should take the place of God as TOP priority.

"You shall have no othe gods before Me."

I wish I could say, 'lesson learned' and move on, but I suspect that there are deeper issues to probe and I suspect we'll be digging for them. sigh


"What makes a diamond?",
He asked the Princess.


"Intense presure over time",
she answered.
Why?"

No comments: