Thursday, April 24, 2008

Highlighting the Truths

"...I suspect they simply grew into their true selves because they demanded in a thousand ways that I back off and let them be."

As my children are now 17 and 19 (and a half!), I can only say this statement is so true. Children come sort of hard-wired with characters and wills and talents and temperments; in my view this is God-breathed.

I remember thinking that my daughter would be like me. I laugh at that now, but I really did think I was getting a mini-me.

How I would have mourned if I had in any way quashed who God designed her to be, in a misguided effort to make her into something I know (me). What a loss that would have been; an injustice, really.

She and her brother are a source of delight to me, just the way they are; a constant surprise. Like unwrapping a gift, I have learned to stand back and let things open up and to gasp! with wonder.

"...The books said to be
relaxed and I was often tense, matter-of-fact and I was sometimes over the top."

I also used to say/believe that I had no regrets about the time I was raising these two God-given gifts, but maybe I can agree with the author that I was often tense, matter-of-fact and busy (hey, I was a single mom--who wouldn't be busy?).

But all in all, I am thankful for the time I had to fulfill a dream I had had since I was a little girl, which was to have children to name and love and raise and experience life's fresh "firsts" with, everyday.

Seriously, I was pretty aware at most points that everything I was doing with the children was their "first"--baths, feeding, daycare, preschool, trikes, finger painting, dyeing eggs, opening presents.

Toddlers digging into a cake, watching a classic Disney movie, feeding ducks, seeing elephants, riding a horse, eating popsicles, hiking a mountain, playing in the ocean.

Screaming on roller coasters, dressing up and pretending, trick or treating, dances, school conferences, reading and reading and reading, love notes, flowers, assemblies, getting bleacher-butt from hours spent watching and cheering.

Proms, formals, graduations and celebrations; what a ride.

In doing all these things for my children I know I was being blessed to do them for myself, too. Nothing compares to the wonder of children. Nothing here on Earth anyway. I suspect God knows this, since He designed a way for Himself to experience the same things. Or....maybe that's vice versa (::snort::). Ah, how often I must cause Him to laugh out loud!

He wants nothing more than to be with us, delighting in our firsts, caring for our struggles, guiding and loving us all of our days. He is such a PerfectParent.

And I will trust that the next chapter of my life, our lives, will be full of wonder, too.

No comments: