Saturday, August 25, 2007

Broken Glass and Rain

I have said for a long while that for the last year or so, I have felt like I was crawling on my hands and knees through broken glass. Ouch. Yuck. Agonizingly painful and slow.

But, after last week's prayer from the youth at church, I have experienced a complete washing away of the grime and grit. The Lord opened the heavenlies (literally) and dumped torrents of rain on me, as I ran through a parking lot at work.

At first, I was rather distressed and inconvenienced; after all, I was pulling my cart, carrying my purse, lunch box and computer case and my remote door opener is broken. Sheesh. I was shower-soaked. Soaking wet.

As I ran, hoping to avoid the rain (yeah, right), I was suddenly filled with little kid joy. I laughed and laughed and no longer cared that I was soaked, my car would be soaked, my computer bag and cart were soaked. I laughed loudly and freely and it felt great.

I knew, in the moment, that God was working; washing away my crud, in an instant, as only He can do. However, it wasn't until several days later that week, that I remembered that rain has such special significance for me and my Papa-God. He reminded me of when, as a newly saved woman, I had begged Him to show me my life vision.

When He brought it, I shared it with our pastors and then was asked to share it with our church. I wrote it up in my journal and have revisited it, from time to time. Here it is...

I am dancing in the rain. Buckets and buckets of rain. I am having blast, free, don't care who sees me. After awhile, the Lord says to my heart, "Put your hands together". I cup them and they fill, immediately, over and over, splashing out around me.

Then, the Lord speaks again. He says, "Now. You must give it away.". And I knew. I knew that I would spend the rest of my life, hands empty and outstretched, being refilled again and again, only to be be emptied, as I freely give away all that I am given.

Now, the trick? To actively resist the ick and the agony of the broken glass, while embracing the rain.

No comments: